About the Program
Established in 1994, we graduated our first class of graduate occupational therapy students in August, 1996. We received approval from ACOTE in 2015 to start a doctoral program and we admitted our first doctoral class in fall 2016. We will no longer be offering the Master degree in occupational therapy. Our graduates are prepared for entry-level positions in occupational therapy and often progress rapidly to leadership positions in the field.
The program offers a rigorous education in both the basic sciences and in occupation-based practice with advanced skills in clinical practice, research, leadership, advoacacy and a capstone experiential project.. Occupational therapists must learn to participate collaboratively with other health care professionals. For this reason, core courses are shared with students in the physical therapy programs. Learning to communicate with other health care providers is important in preparation of building teamwork.
- Faculty to student ratio is 1:9
- Master and Doctor of occupational therapy students at SMU are enrolled in an intensive human anatomy course with cadavers
- The majority of program faculty continue to practice in the field, have diverse backgrounds, have numerous publications and have presented nationally and internationally
- Samuel Merritt University is located in Oakland, California, close to San Francisco, Berkeley and the Wine Country of Napa and Sonoma
- All students participate in three clinics that provide free OT services to individuals in the community
- Clinicians and employers in the field consistently rate graduates of the Master of Occupational Therapy Program at Samuel Merritt University as outstanding contributors to their professional staff
The total number of graduates who passed the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) certification examination for 2014–2016 was 108 out of 108, which is a pass rate of 100%. During the three year period, the program had 108 graduates. For our most recent year, 2016, the pass rate was 100% (of 37 test takers, 37 passed). The total number of graduates for 2016 was 37. The website for all OT program pass rates is located at: https://secure.nbcot.org/data/schoolstats.aspx
Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)
- 4720 Montgomery Lane
Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449
|Program||Accreditation Status||Last Visit||Next Visit|
|Entry-level Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)||Candidacy received. Students entering in 2016 will be in the OTD program with the opt-out option to receive an MOT degree only.||N/A (transitioning to new OTD program)||Site visit scheduled for 2018|
|Entry-level Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT)||Full accreditation||2008||2018|
The application submission deadline is October 1. Samuel Merritt University accepts applications using OTCAS. Applications must be filed prior to the application deadline. Keep in mind that it is to the students’ advantage to include as many available grades as possible with the application. For example, with the submission deadline of October 1, you should wait to submit an application until any summer grades are available. There is no opportunity to update your application at a later date.