All students are required to complete the Student Health Forms as soon as you have been accepted to the program, but no later than 30 days before your program start date in order to avoid a registration hold. All required health information and supporting documents must be uploaded and entered on the Student Health Portal (SHP). Documents submitted by mail, email, fax, or hand-delivered will NOT be accepted and documents will not be returned.
Flu Vaccine: An annual flu vaccine. Students who decline flu vaccine must wear a mask when they are in clinicals.
Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis): Verification of Tdap vaccine within the last 10 years. Td will not satisfy this requirement.
- Hepatitis B: 3 doses required. Dose 1 to Dose 2: minimum 4weeks apart. Dose 2 to dose 3: minimum 8 weeks apart AND at least 16 weeks after first dose OR Positive Hepatitis B sAb Titer (surface antibody)
- MMR: Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, and Rubella: 2 doses required (no age exception due to our health science institution.) Minimum 4 weeks apart between Dose 1 to Dose 2 OR Positive Rubeola IgG Titer, positive Rubella IgG Titer, and positive Mumps IgG Titer
- Varicella: Documentation of positive varicella titre or two doses of varicella vaccines received minimum 4 weeks apart, regardless of prior history of chicken pox.
- Student Health Record, Consent to Release Record, and Health History Forms (p.3-7 of the Student Health Forms)
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (TST) aka PPD:
- Negative 2-step PPD: Must be done within 6 months before your program start day. 2-step as defined by CDC: 1st test placed and read within 48-72 hours. 2nd test placed at least 1 week after 1st placement, but no longer that 3weeks, and read within 48-72 hours OR
- A negative Quantiferon TB Gold blood test (IGRA) (Must be done within 6 months before program start day) OR
Individual with a history of Positive TST (PPD):
- A negative chest x-ray (within 12 months before program start date; CXR report is required.) AND
- Completed Tuberculosis Screening Survey. Depending on date of conversion, evidence of latent tuberculosis treatment may be required.
All SMU students are required to receive a one-step TB Skin Test or Quantiferon TB Gold blood test (IGRA) annually until graduation. The PPD skin test will expire each year on the date of your second PPD reading of your 2-step PPD. If you have a history of positive PPD, you will need to complete the TB Survey annually. Routine chest x-rays are not required unless the TB survey shows evidences of TB.
There may be additional requirements from your academic program or clinical placement, including (but not limited to) vaccine titers, color vision testing, and physical exam. Please check with your Clinical Coordinator.
ABSN Students will need to complete Physical Exam (PE) for clinical requirement. Please upload your completed to the Student Health Portal.
Mandatory Student Health Insurance Enrollment must be completed online at https://app.hsac.com/smu. All SMU students are required to have acceptable medical health insurance coverage in effect by their program’s first day of orientation. For more information, please visit the insurance website.
Each department may have additional requirements. Students who do not comply with the above immunization policy will be prohibited from clinical experience and class attendance until they are in compliance. Registration for succeeding terms may be held until students provide the above documentation.