Information Technology Infrastructure and Technical Services
Director, Marcus Walton, MSIT, ITILv3,CCNAS
The IT Infrastructure and Technical Services teams are responsible for reliable and effective information technology services management, delivery, and communications to the SMU community. The IT Infrastructure & Technical Services Teams include:
- the IT Service Desk staff installs, troubleshoots, and maintains workstation hardware components, network printers, software applications, and network related protocols to ensure a functional and reliable computing environment in support of the University's academic and business needs. The IT Service Desk provides technical support to faculty, staff, students, and guests for issues pertaining to SMU-supported hardware, software, and network connectivity. The IT Service Desk responds to request for service by telephone, e-mail, instant messaging, desk- side, and through SMU's walk-in service. The IT Service Desk members are empowered with system administrator rights to fix most problems, as well as coordinate with other technical support, networking, academic and administrative computing staff to solve customers' problems and questions.
- the Network Services staff provides operations management and monitoring, after hours Service Desk assistance, information technology facilities management, and network engineering. Network Services provides directory architecture management and engineering, systems engineering and operations, and database administration; administers the e-mail and collaboration software environment, and server and storage platforms architecture, engineering, and operations. The team also furnishes telecommunications services, and workstation lifecycle management. Network Services responds to requests for service, either through direct interaction with customers at SMU's walk-in service or through issues that have been escalated from the IT Service Desk.
- the Media Services staff proudly serves students, faculty and staff by promoting and supporting the thoughtful use of technology for teaching and learning. Media Services integrates the traditional notion of audio and visual services and the many, often integrated, media content types used for instruction. The Media Services team is responsible for fulfilling the school's needs for a wide range of services including asynchronous and synchronous eLearning, custom-created smart classrooms, hallway video signage, equipment checkout, videotaping services, video conferencing and digital photography.
The Infrastructure and Technology Services teams are responsible for protecting and defending Samuel Merritt University's data resources by implementing industry-accepted security practices in IT planning, implementation, management, and operations, while ensuring confidentiality, integrity, authenticity, and availability.
The teams work to accomplish this through:
- ensuring compliance with applicable policies, laws, and regulations
- enforcing university policies and standards
- highlighting sources of risk to university management
- implementing technologies that increase the visibility of potential risks to our data
- developing repeatable processes that validate security in IT systems and services
- contributing to awareness, training, and education programs
- initiating partnerships with departments to evaluate and improve their computer security practices
- safeguarding new technologies and services
Sr. Systems Administrator
510-879-9200 ext. 7906
IT Service Desk
Technical Services Lead
510-879-9200 ext. 7907
Service Desk Technician
510-879-9200 ext. 7908
Desktop Support Technician
510-879-9200 ext. 7909
Media Services Technician
510-879-9200 ext. 7912
Media Services Technician
510-879-9200 ext. 7914
Digital Media Specialist
510-879-9200 ext. 7913