Welcome Prospective Transition to Practice Program Participant
Samuel Merritt University is no longer accepting applications for the Transition to Practice program
This program is designed to enhance the abilities of new graduate registered nurses who have experienced difficulty securing RN employment. The program leverages the strengths of Samuel Merritt University (SMU) School of Nursing in collaboration with our partner clinical facilities in the provision of classroom, laboratory, and clinical experiences, which serve to build on the prelicensure education of new graduates as they move into professional practice roles.
- 12 week session; 24-32hrs/week, including 8hrs didactic, simulation, or project work.
- Curriculum provided, building on prelicensure competencies.
- Skills assessment/review at program start will guide an individualized learning plan for each participant.
- Participants share the patient care assignment of an RN preceptor, based on the RN's schedule. Placement determined by a number of factors including placements offered by partner facility and experience during pre-licensure program preceptorship.
- Participants who meet all the program requirements receive a certificate of completion from SMU. BSN credit provided. BSN participants may earn MSN credit for completing a graduate level project.
- Increased clinical competence of each participant based on an individual learning plan to continue new graduate professional development.
- Guided deliberate practice of RN clinical responsibilities.
- Increased breadth and depth of understanding of the healthcare delivery system.
- Enhanced employability of new graduate RNs.
Applying For Admission:
Samuel Merritt University is no longer accepting applications for the Transition to Practice program.